Friday, December 12, 2008

Forgiveness

I just read this inspirational quote in one of my Beliefnet.com e-mails and I'm still processing it...

"Forgiveness is giving up all hope of a better past..."

I feel floored by this. It makes a lot of sense and I can see why, in some cases, I have a hard time forgiving certain people or acts. In the case of my mother I want to forgive her but I'm held back by the hope of somehow magically changing the past. Logically I know this won't happen but it's a childish wish. I think part of the reason I haven't been able to forgive her is that there is no hope of a better future, she won't change. So instead of forgiving and trying to forge a better future I'm just cutting her out of my life altogether. Hmm.

In the case of other loved ones and wrongs done, there is great hope for a better future and there is an excellent present so forgiveness comes easily. Hmmm yet again.

Food for thought indeed.

No comments: