Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Absolutes again

I’ve had quite some time to mull over absolutes, as they pertain to M/s. M’Lady gave me some food for thought.

Just because someone can do something doesn’t mean they will. A responsible owner who owns his/her property absolutely can, but won’t, kill or main said property by virtue of that ownership.

I had to stop and think about this in vanilla terms to make a bit more sense of it. Ultimately my husband could beat me abusively, he could kill me, those are choices he could make but won’t because he is an honorable, loving, and responsible mate and these things aren’t in his character. I took a long time to get to know this about him and wouldn’t have stayed with him, much less agreed to being his slave, otherwise.

Now I’m beginning to understand things a bit. M’Lady pointed out that if she suddenly said to her boy “Go get me the knife I’m going to cut off one of your fingers” his trust should be such that he would obey absolutely and go fetch the knife for her. It’s not that she would cut off his finger, that isn’t the issue, his absolute obedience is. THIS I can understand.

While I don’t think my Master and I have an absolute power exchange I certainly recognize some elements of it in our relationship.

However, there are limits my responsibility to my children comes first. I don’t have the right to give up my responsibility to them they didn’t, and can’t, consent to enslavement. I have to make sure that whatever is happening in my M/s life isn’t affecting them negatively actually it should affect them very little in my opinion. It is also my responsibility to be sure that I am able to function as a parent for them. They need my guidance but also my authority. This comes from being the sole authority figure for many years as Master worked nights and wasn’t able to be there during their waking hours.

I have responsibility to myself, to care for myself and to see to it that whatever relationship I am in is healthy. If I am in an unhealthy relationship the effects will trickle down and will affect all aspects of my life and those who are involved in my life.

These responsibilities are just as important as my responsibility to my Master. As the children get older and move out to begin their own lives, I expect that our power exchange might evolve and possibly deepen. We’ll have more time to devote to each other without worrying about the children hearing or seeing something they shouldn’t.

Do I think we’ll ever have an ape? I don’t know I’m not sure if that would work for us or if we even want something like that.