Friday, January 21, 2005

Floating

I had an amazing experience last night. I went to my first water aerobics class. It was the first time I'd stepped into a pool in many years and it felt good. As I walked through the water I was amazed, the pain in my back eased.

I kept up with the class pretty well which I was quite proud of. Afterwards though, as I got out of the water, it was hard to readjust to gravity. I felt so heavy, I wanted to get back into the water and stay there forever. I was light in the water, I could move with ease and without pain. I comforted myself with the thought that I can go back and do it twice every week for as long as I want.

I'm really proud of myself and of my Master. We've stuck with the new way of eating for two weeks now. We're both caffeine free and Master is actually sleeping at night. For the most part I don't have many hunger pangs any more, my body has adjusted. The hard part for me, is ignoring my brain that tells me I need to keep eating even though I've had plenty of food. It feels good to be in control though, and to be able to recognize that I'm not truly hungry at those times.

Master has been a great source of support and willpower when mine has been weak. The weight loss support group has been a great source of support and encouragement. It's nice to be able to be fully myself and still get the support I need.

I suppose there are some who don't quite understand why anyone would need help or support to lose weight. I think losing weight is extremely difficult, it's like any other addiction but for the fact that you cannot just quit eating and avoid food for the rest of your life. We still have to eat to live and thus we have to wrestle with the very substance we're addicted to every day.

Still, it's a battle worth fighting. I'm looking forward to being healthier and feeling better.