Tuesday, January 11, 2005

So far

Yesterday, the first day of the diet went just about as expected. Master and I both were hungry all day long. Even with having a few extra things my calorie count was only at 1500. Compared to the 3-5000 calories my body is used to getting, that's pretty good.

We ate healthy stuff all day long and ended the night with some fresh grapes.

I went swimsuit shopping with my sister. I expected to be frustrated and depressed but instead, I didn't mind the way I looked in the Speedo I tried on at a store that specializes in swimsuits. The straps across the back kept the girls in line and the suit didn't have much give so it held the rest of me in line. It's funny really, I felt so very naked in that dressing room wearing the swimming suit; especially when I pulled the curtain aside to show my sister.

It wasn't so bad, having her there. It was kind of nice really. She's heavy too and we can laugh together about things like "I just love the way these straps dissect the fat rolls on my back." It's good to have someone you can commiserate with and in the same turn share butt kickings to get in gear.

We shouldn't have done the trek through the new mall though, that was a biiiiig mistake. We both began paying for it last night and still are paying for it today.

I go see the pain doc next week for a follow up on the steroid shot that didn't seem to work. The next step is likely to be Disc Nuclearplasty. The procedure isn't nearly as bad as it might sound. They go in with a 17ga needle and then slip a little electrode through there and into the disc and using radio frequency, remove some of the tissue in the disc. This is supposed to decompress it and take care of the bulge that is irritating my nerve roots.

I really hope they decide to take this step and I hope it works. I've had an increase in tension headaches since my back has been bad and they're not going away as easily as they once did. Plus, I need to get moving so I can get healthier, can't move if it hurts and irritates my back. The doctor keeps suggesting avoidance therapy for my back, avoid doing the things that irritate it. Yeah, why don't I just go be a huge lump on the couch and gain more weight? Not!

Today is day 2 of our new way of eating. That sounds far better than calling it a diet. Diets are temporary and are made to be broken, this is neither. I'm not feeling as hungry as I was yesterday, so far anyway. I think I can do this. I made it through the first day and that's always the worst. If I just take it one day at a time I should be okay. With all the support we have Master and I can do this and we can be successful and we'll feel good.

I'm supposed to have class today but the roads are extremely icy so I'm staying out of the "icecapades" as my sister calls it and I'm going to nurse my tension headache.