Friday, December 10, 2004

Success! I think.

Today I had a visit with a pain management doc. At first I thought I was going to really dislike this person, I had an appointment at 12:15, arrived by noon because I knew I'd have paperwork to fill out. I didn't get in to see him until around 1:30.

I wasn't the only person with an excessive wait so I stayed calm and congenial. No sense in getting nasty when there's nothing to be done about it.

Finally I got back to see the doc, I spent a bit of time with the nurse first and then the doc breezed in. It was obvious that he was frazzled from working at a frantic pace. But he took time to listen to me and explained a few things to me, making sure I understood. He's definitely a take charge kind of guy, I can respect that. *grinning cheekily*

I had come prepared with a list of all the meds that have been tried and the physical therapy done. I think it pleased the doctor to have an organized patient, I swear I detected a note of delight in his voice when he asked if he could keep my list.

He explained that I'd be having a cortisone injection in the area that's giving me fits. Okay so far, teensy bit of anxiety over a needle in my spine, but okay. He also said he'd arrange for me to have a home e-stim unit, something of a modified TENS unit. I'm all for that, e-stim has been one of the only things to give me any sort of relief from the pain. He also explained that he'd be prescribing an anti-arthritic/anti-inflammatory medication for me to try. By the time Nurse Two came in to have me sign paperwork for the injection I was in a state of bemusement. To date, I had never had a doctor be so decisive about dealing with my back pain, nor so willing to help and not just throw pills at me as he told me to go away.

Nurse One came back in to lead me to the room where they were to do the actual procedure. I get into the room, check it out and listen as she explains the procedure. Once my belongings are settled, Nurse One (I really should learn her name) led me to the table and had me lie down on my belly. All the while she's explaining what will occur and what I can expect to feel. I thought I was calm and collected but as the automatic blood pressure cuff calculated my blood pressure it was very obvious that I was anxious. I went from 104/82 in the exam room to 140/92 in the procedure room. I began to do some deep breathing in hopes of relaxing myself. I don't really know if it worked because there were a couple of times during the procedure that Nurse One reminded me to relax and breathe slowly.

The actual procedure wasn't too horrible as these things go, I'd take an injection in my back over say, a gall bladder attack. No, I didn't mean to rhyme, really.

There was lots of pressure and odd sensations until he slipped the needle into the spot that my pain resides and comes from. I knew in that moment exactly where the pain was coming from. As he injected the medicine I wanted to crawl off the table and put an end to the odd and painful sensations. But, being the good girl I am, I held perfectly still and taking deep breaths.

Then BAM! It was over. Actually there was no BAM! He'd removed the needle and I had no idea he'd done it. Nurse One washed the Betadine off of my back, foul stuff that it is, and helped me cover my exposed bum and climb off the table. I stood next to the table holding onto it, I'm not quite sure what I expected to happen but I was prepared for anything. I'm happy to say I was disappointed, nothing happened. I fastened my jeans, put my shirt on and gathered my things with nothing more exciting than an odd "full and achy" sensation in my back.

A half hour later the story took a dramatic turn. The pain that Nurse One warned me about struck fiercely. Forty-five minutes later, I wasn't sure if I could continue the drive home. As I drove I made a mental note to be sure to head right home after the next injection, if there is a next injection.

Now, several hours post injection, the pain is down to manageable levels and I have real hope that I'll feel even better tomorrow, and even better than that by Sunday.

Within a week I'm supposed to return to doing the back exercises I learned in PT. I actually feel hopeful that this time things will work and I'll have some control over the pain.